Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Contemplating Plastic Free



I'm trying to get my head around going plastic-free for a period of time. As in, purchase NOTHING that has plastic in it or comes with plastic wrap. A kind of cold-turkey to shock myself out of my lazy behaviour when it comes to making purchases.
Even contemplating this is difficult.
How it all started was, I've been dreaming about building myself a trailer cabin, and not putting any plastic or toxic substances in it, but the biggest drawback is that this will make it very heavy. And Expensive. (And of course, I don't yet have a piece of land I could park it on.) Also, the toilet would almost certainly have to involve some kind of plastic! As would the shower!
But back to the much nearer future.
Some of the things that I would have to find substitutes and solutions for:

Toothpaste
Shampoo & Conditioner
Cat food (my cat is particular)
Milk -No glass milk bottles available locally! Only current solution, milkpowder?
Jarred products - often have a plastic skin inside the lid, as do tinned products.
Bulk store products - My local bulk store pre-bags most of it's products in ... plastic bags.
Juice - even the cartons are plastic coated
Gardening - plants and potting mix both come in plastic, meaning seeds only?

The more I think about it, the more difficult it seems!
*I'll probably add to this list as I think of more stuff.

No comments: